Happy day-after-Easter! I hope your day was full with family, good times, and something sweet. I can check off all three, plus a couple of laughs as well. While performing with the bell choir at church (yes, I am a ding-a-ling and proud of it), I was so enthusiastically ringing my bells that I nearly knocked the music stand off the table during the crescendo. I saved it from toppling onto the front-row ding-a-lings just in time. Whew! Later, at my mom’s house, the dog was apparently so excited to see me that she managed to get her nose under the hem of my dress and goose me before I could stop her. TWICE. Little freshie!
While it’s likely we’ll be eating egg salad and deviled eggs the rest of the week, today for lunch I get to eat the delicious leftovers from my Saturday night dinner. Sausage with peppers is neither unique nor innovative, but it totally satisfied my craving. I love Italian sausage and wanted to make something colorful and low-fuss. This worked out perfectly!
Turkey Sausage with Peppers and Onions
6 sweet Italian turkey sausage (like Shady Brook Farms)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small Vidalia onion, chopped
2 cups mixed sweet peppers, chopped (red, green, orange)
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup white wine
salt and pepper to taste
1) In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage on all sides until nearly cooked through. Remove sausage from skillet and slice.
2) Add butter and olive oil to skillet, then add onion and peppers. Saute 3-5 minutes, until vegetables begin to soften.
3) Add garlic and saute one minute more.
4) Add basil, oregano and wine. Add sausage slices. Cover,reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes.
5) Serve over rice or with whole grain pasta.