No-Guilt Cookies with Peanut Butter Banana and Oats

by Julia Robarts on September 10, 2013

in Appetizers & Snacks, Cookies, Dessert, Gluten Free

I love it when I can get out of my own way long enough to get something done. A friend shared a recipe with me for sinless cookies, and though I’m not usually an impulsive baker, I knew in a heartbeat I could and would make these no-guilt cookies in just a handful of minutes.

It was so worth it!

No-Guilt Cookies with Peanut Butter Banana Oats -- Juggling With JuliaThese yummy, healthy no-guilt cookies could easily double as breakfast. Bananas, outs, natural peanut butter, and chocolate chips is all it takes. An oven would be helpful, too, though I’m going to be honest that this recipe actually makes 13 cookies, not the dozen I list under the recipe. The 13th cookie I ate au natural 😉

Hold the phone. I WAS NOT NAKED, I just ate it without cooking it. Did I just give you a weird visual of me in the kitchen, holding a mixing spoon and spatula in strategically modest ways? SO SORRY! I hope my mother skips this post. Wait, never mind, she’s seen me naked. OK, that’s fine then. Right? Still weird. OK, I’m going to stop now. Just stop. Just. Stop. Typing.

{pauses to collect herself…}

Many thanks go out to pal Rob of massaged kale salad fame for sharing the recipe. I couldn’t quite bring myself to call them sinless cookies, as he did, not just because they are loaded with chocolate chips, but because I am philosophically against applying any sort of judgment towards dessert. Guilt and food just don’t mix, right? Besides, it’ll give you a terrible case of dyspepsia (one of my favorite dietitian words!)

But I am OK with the ‘no-guilt cookies’ moniker. They are packed with fruit, grains, and plant-based protein – aka all the things I love in a healthy meal. These treats are also for anyone who loves cookie-shaped things, yet likes to eat healthfully. No added fat or salt here!

You may be surprised that they can easily be made gluten-free, too, provided you use oats not processed in a facility that also processes wheat. While I know that gluten-free diets are popular as a fad diet, there are an increasing number of people being diagnosed with gluten intolerance, Celiac disease, or wheat allergies who legitimately need to follow a gluten-free diet. This is the recipe for you, as are these chickpea chocolate chip blondies. Who says you need flour to make baked goods?  Fruit, grain, and nut, with just a wee bit of chocolate for fun. No-guilt cookies it is 🙂

Because I tend to love ANYTHING with these ingredients in them, I decided to get a broader audience to weigh in. Off I went to pick-up at my daughter’s elementary school toting a bag full of these babies. Most liked them a lot, including kids (not mine, naturally…) They are moist and chewy, with a definite banana background. I might ramp up the peanut butter more next time, but otherwise wouldn’t change a thing.

No-Guilt Cookies with Peanut Butter Banana Oats -- Juggling With JuliaGuiltless Peanut Butter Banana Oat Chippies -- Juggling With JuliaNo-Guilt Peanut Butter Banana Oat Chippies
Makes ~12 cookies
Recipe from Rob

2 ripe bananas
1 cup oats
3 tablespoons natural peanut butter
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment. Mash the bananas well, then mix in the oats and peanut butter. Fold in the chocolate chips. Drop by large tablespoons full onto the baking sheet, about 1 inch apart (the cookies do not spread out, so closer is OK). Bake for 20-22 minutes, or  until no longer sticky and lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack and store in tightly closed container.

YUM!!

Print Friendly

{ 44 comments… read them below or add one }

Betsy February 27, 2016 at 10:15 am

Has anyone tried using raisins or do you have an oatmeal raisin recipe? I can’t eat chocolate. Thank you!

Julia Robarts February 27, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Raisins in place of chocolate would work fine here, Betsy.

Hope April 8, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Hi, just tried out tis recipe it same out really well!! I also would have ramped up the peanut butter, I found that 1/2 cups with the same amount of the other ingredients is a good mix:)

~~Hope

Julia Robarts April 8, 2015 at 5:04 pm

Thx Hope! Peanut butter in greater quantities is always welcome in my kitchen!!

Sharon March 28, 2015 at 4:17 pm

I am just loving these cookies. I make them with almond butter and add almonds or walnuts for some crunch (any nut will work). I double the recipe, freeze them and then microwave a few when I want a little treat. They are yummy warm 🙂

Julia Robarts March 28, 2015 at 6:42 pm

I bet they are good warm! Thanks for letting me know 🙂

Rajinder February 11, 2015 at 1:53 pm

These look great! Has anyone tried making these with WOW BUTTER? My son has a nut allergy.

Julia Robarts February 11, 2015 at 2:02 pm

It would probably work well – similar consistency. Sun Butter may work even better, if your son is able to have sunflower seeds. Let us know!

dawniequel January 27, 2015 at 11:47 pm

I figured these cookies to have approximately 11 net carbs each.

John January 10, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Just made these but threw in a handful of butterscotch chips along with the choc chips, pure heaven if you like butterscotch. Kids just devoured them in minutes… Will become a go to so I can use up bananas

Julia Robarts January 10, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Wonderful!!! And who doesnt love butterscotch??

Julia Robarts October 16, 2014 at 7:10 am

So glad you liked them! I have a cranberry/white chocolate version on the blog also. Check it out!

Mary September 12, 2014 at 8:23 pm

How big are the bananas used in this recipe? They can vary so much in size! Would the total volume of mashed bananas be about a cup?

Julia Robarts September 13, 2014 at 6:39 am

That sounds about right, Mary. I’ve made them a few times and can say the amounts are definitely flexible!

Shay August 16, 2014 at 8:53 am

I had this recipe pinned but my Pinterest app didn’t load fast enough so I came to Google. The comments about the pictures looking different were right! The viral recipe looks like regular cookie dough. So I’m going to pin yours and delete the other. Don’t wanna mislead the people. Oh. And I use carob chips wherever chocolate chips are called for. Healthier but just as yummy IMO.

Julia Robarts August 16, 2014 at 7:38 pm

I still haven’t seen this viral recipe you are talking about – will Google images and see if I can find it. So curious.

Margie August 7, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Just saw this recipe on FB. I was definitely intrigued. In response to the person that wanted WW points, it is actually 3 points per cookie if you use 1, 2 or 3T of peanut butter. (Odd, I know.) The FB recipe called for a heaping tablespoon, Julia’s calls for 3T. I think the picture on FB seems like they were rolled and not baked yet. Julia’s look far more appetizing. My only problem with this recipe is the term No Guilt or Sinless. Either implies you might be able to eat more than one. 3 points is pretty hefty, but it would make a great breakfast cookie. Thanks for all the information. Very informative. My first time visiting your blog. Just waiting for my bananas to ripen 🙂

Julia Robarts August 7, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Thank you so much for commenting, Margie! I am inclined to agree with you about the “no guilt” label, but then again, I am also against any guilt associate with food 🙂 These are a great breakfast item – packed with fiber and protein and micronutrients. Maybe a better phrase would be “power up” or something like that??

Margie August 7, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Power Up is perfect!!

Chelsea August 5, 2014 at 9:23 pm

are the nutrition facts available so I can figure the weight watcher points? will be making these…

Julia Robarts August 5, 2014 at 9:33 pm

I’m sorry, Chelsea, but I do not typically calculate the calories and such in my recipes.

Abigail Cutajar July 29, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I had just baked the cookies as per the viral recipe on fb. Mine look just like yours. Are they soft?

Julia Robarts July 29, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Yes soft and chewy.

Gail July 28, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Made these and loved them .I made mine in a 9×9 pan like bars. Kids loved them!

Julia Robarts July 28, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Perfect! Thanks for giving them a try 🙂

L.P July 27, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I decided to make these as I had friends who called and were travelling my way and said they were dropping by in less than an hour. They were delicious and not too sweet, as some drop cookies can be. I will be making these again soon, thanks!

Julia Robarts July 27, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Wonderful! Thanks for trusting me and going for it even when you had guests coming 🙂

Theresa July 26, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Made these this morning and they were great. I did add about 1/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut (from Trader Joe’s) and 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract. I think kids would love these and they are so easy to make the kids could participate in making them. Thanks, Julia, for the recipe.

Julia Robarts July 26, 2014 at 2:23 pm

I love coconut! I bet they were even better. Thx for leaving a comment to let everyone know!

Kimberly July 19, 2014 at 4:03 pm

hi!

I also saw this recipe online recently and my cookies look more like yours than the picture on line. Do you know how many calories are in one cookie?

Thank you!

Julia Robarts July 19, 2014 at 5:03 pm

I did a quick review of the kcals per ingredient – you can do the math based on how many cookies your recipe made.

1 cup oats – 280 kcals
2 bananas – 200 kcals
3 T peanut butter – 285 kcals
1/2 cup chocolate chips – 400 kcals

If you make 1 dozen:
Just about 100 kcals per cookie!

brenda July 19, 2014 at 11:00 pm

How many sugars and fat and protein per cookie approximately

Julia Robarts July 21, 2014 at 11:32 am

HI Brenda – I don’t generally do nutrition profiles of my recipes, though I don’t mind doing it once in a while. I will reply soon with numbers for you. ~Julia

Char July 18, 2014 at 5:37 pm

What do you think about freezing these? I’d like to just pop them out of the freezer when I get a hankering forsweets.

Julia Robarts July 18, 2014 at 5:54 pm

I think they would do fine. I’m planning to make more tomorrow and will freeze a few myself to see. Thx for stopping in 🙂

Debbie Stauffer September 25, 2014 at 8:28 pm

I froze some yesterday. Took one out..had to let it thaw just briefly and it was yummy! Love these cookies!

Julia Robarts September 25, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Good to know! Mine never made it to the freezer 🙂

Julia Robarts October 5, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Great to know – thank you!

Donna November 13, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Planning on making these today but does it have to be natural peanut butter? Only have your typical Jif in the cabinet

Julia Robarts November 14, 2013 at 1:28 pm

They should work just fine with regular, sweetened peanut butter!

Heidi Keyho September 10, 2013 at 2:20 pm

I made these last night from a post I saw earlier. They are yum! Then I shared the recipe with my Mom!

Julia Robarts September 12, 2013 at 11:57 am

Nice! Did yours look anything like mine? Saw another pic of the same recipe and they looked completely different, as if the oats were processed first or something. Just curious…

Christa July 15, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Mine looked like yours, nothing like the other picture that seems to have gone viral lately on FB. In fact, I found this recipe because I am a baker and blogger and I wanted to debunk a viral recipe for a post. I saw that other picture and knew the photo did not match the recipe. I made it and they looked just like yours. I’m not sure what they did for that photo or if it is even a photo of the same recipe at all (I have uncovered many instances of people posting a recipe with an image of some other recipe and renaming it. Some sites do this so they can claim the content as their own and get a ton of likes/shares. Anyway, I am glad I found your true recipe!

Julia Robarts July 17, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Wow, thanks for sharing and corroborating my work! I have heard stories recently of food bloggers’ work being ‘adapted’ or outright stolen. My relative obscurity in the food blogging world protects me some, but hopefully not for long 🙂 Thank you for finding me and for getting involved in the conversation 🙂 ~Julia